Meet Our Vendors! is an ongoing series where you’ll be able to get a sneak peek of who you’ll see in November! Feel free to leave comments and questions–for us and for the vendor–about products, practices, and anything else that’s on your mind.
The Artisan Tavolo is an online marketplace with loads of the best in gluten free artisan pastas and accompaniments from around the world. Driven by a celiac disease diagnosis and realizing she could no longer enjoy “the biggest pleasure in [her] food life”, proprietor Susan Weber had to step up. She says she “got over disbelief, tried all those heavy brownish noodles (you know what I am referring to) that stuck to everything.”
Not taking this as a solution, The Artisan Tavolo was born. Welcoming our newest vendor to the event, we wanted to know a little more behind the company and amazing products they carry. Here’s what she told us:
1. If you could create a pasta dish recipe to serve at the Italy Pavilion at Epcot’s World Showcase restaurants, what would it be?
Artisan Tavolo Pasta…… A gluten free, vegetarian Disney Delight.
Softly saute julienned sun dried tomatoes and garlic.Add basil, quartered artichoke hearts, a handful of greek olives and half a cup or so of feta cheese. Saute 1 minute and add 1/4 cup or so of either heavy cream, white wine or veggie stock ( I prefer the wine for flavor).
After another minute, add in your favorite gluten free pasta, cooked al dente. Toss delicately just till all the flavors meld. Plate and top with fresh oregano, salt & pepper to taste.
I am so pleased and delighted when I see the positive, over the top reactions to my table at gluten-free expos. A table full of over 100 packages of gluten-free pasta, from around the globe, in many cuts and sizes, is enough to drive any sane gluten-freer crazy!
But one ladies stands out in particular due to her enthusiasm towards my products. At a gluten-free expo I attended, just about in the mid-point of the expo, I could see from the corner of my eye, a lady clapping her hands together…I could hear her exclaiming loudly… “Oh my gosh, oh my gosh..” over and over. I happened to be talking with a newly diagnosed gentleman at the time… explaining the the shock of the diagnosis will go away soon when he finds all the wonderful gluten-free products now available. The lady I could hear and see from the corner of my eye, came up strongly behind me and gave me the biggest bear hug I had ever gotten. Now I still could not see her as I was facing the gentleman and she came up behind me. But both the gentleman and I looked at each other wide-eyed and turned to see this lady with tears rolling down her cheeks… happy tears, as she was smiling and thanking me over and over.
It turns out, pasta was her great food love and since she was diagnosed with celiac, it was her great sorrow to find what she felt was little variety of gluten-free pastas where she lived. She said she felt like a kid in a gluten-free candy store.
I am so excited and pleased that what I do can add such pleasure to other’s lives. I smiled all the way home from that expo thinking about that one lady.
3. Design a Disney inspired shaped pasta! Which character or icon would it be shaped as?
I think it would have to be in the shape of Mickey ears. I just love them and they have so many varieties now! (Note from FACCWDW: they do carry some other fun character-shaped pastas already!)
4. You’re making us dinner (yum!), and including a cast of Disney’s characters. Who’s invited and what’s on the menu?
Who’s coming is a hard decision…. seeing as I have been to Disney probably several hundred times….. hmmmmm who to invite….
Now what we’re having, that’s easy:
- For our Antipasto….slices of parmesan cheese drizzled with balsamico and gluten-free crostini with fresh tomato basil topping….
- Primo… beautiful nests of gluten-free fettuccine with a lovely marinara sauce and a sprig of fresh basil on top…
- Secundo….gluten-free toasted lobster ravioli, with a simple herb brown butter sauce….or maybe gluten-free chicken parmesan with fresh greens
- Contorno…..a beautiful plate of Italian-marinated veggies with Italian salumi and cheeses
- Dolce…. limoncello gluten-free bread pudding and a gluten-free biscotti with a cappuccino (I know you are supposed to have cappuccino in the AM but I like it!)
5. You truly have unique products. What is your favorite for an all-purpose, simple marinara? How about a garlic, fresh herb, and olive oil? Or a basil pesto? Tell us the top combinations!
Nothing like a homemade marinara with gluten-free fettuccine with a touch of freshly grated pecorino! It melts in your mouth. I also love gluten-free pasta salad. My favorite is greek gluten-free orzo salad with feta, red onion, tomatoes and a fresh greek dressing. Basil Pesto with gluten-free quinoa penne or conchiglioni is also very satisfying.
One of my very favorites is gluten-free veggie lasagne with gluten-free lasagne sheets (spinach, zucchini, onion, italian peppers, mixed cheeses, red sauce). I also make ravioli and cannelloni from these sheets of gluten-free pasta. It’s all so good!
I think I gained 5 pounds just writing this!