Meet Our Vendors! is an ongoing series where you’ll be able to get a sneak peek of who you’ll see in November! Feel free to leave comments and questions–for us and for the vendor–about products, practices, and anything else that’s on your mind.
PlantFusion is an plant-based nutrition that manufactures gluten-free and vegan protein and meal-based shakes. Using ingredients that they believe are good for our bodies and the planet, everything they make is free of dairy, soy, and wheat. Their powders offer a little inspiration combined with a lot of taste, making pre-and post-workout options just that much more delicious.
We talked with Scott, the marketing coordinator behind the business, and asked him to dish on the details of their nutrient-rich products. Here’s what he had to tell us:
1. If you could create a PlantFusion shake recipe inspired by a Disney ride/attraction, what would it be?
Mickey Mousse Smoothie
3/4 cup vanilla almond milk (or milk of your choice)
1 Tbsp. chia seeds
1 small/medium banana, frozen
2 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4-1/2 of a ripe avocado
1 tsp. instant coffee granules (optional)
1 scoop (30g) chocolate or cookies n crème PlantFusion
- Put all ingredients into any standard blender and blend until smooth.
- Transfer to glass and drink immediately or put it in fridge for 15-20 minutes to allow it to thicken up even more.
- If you want a more pudding-like consistency, prep the day before and leave in the fridge overnight.
2. What’s the craziest/funniest/most memorable time you’ve experienced with a fan?
Nothing exactly crazy but we’ve received a couple really awesome emails from military members serving overseas. As well as a few celebrities and professional athletes here and there.
Kerry Washington mentioned PlantFusion as her go to protein powder in Women’s Health magazine. Sherri Shepherd tweeted a photo of PlantFusion. Michelle Rodriguez used our product to build muscle when filming the newest Fast and Furious movie. Super Bowl Champ Steve Weatherford of the NY Giants and Captain of the NJ Devils Bryce Salvador all take the product.
3. As runDisney runners, we love some good fuel pre- and post-workout. What’s the best advice you have for runners or other endurance athletes?
It’s always important to stretch and warm up the body before a run. Dynamic stretches really improve range of motion, loosens up your muscles, and increases heart rate, body temperature, and blood flow to help you run more efficiently.
4. What’s your most popular PlantFusion flavor? Any new flavors on the horizon?
Our most popular flavor is vanilla bean. Mainly because vanilla is a very versatile flavor that you can add into a number of things. A lot of people use vanilla as a base in their smoothies or even in baked foods. Our newest flavor, cookies n crème, is starting to creep up on vanilla. We’re the only vegan protein that has a cookies n crème flavor… plus the fact that it’s gluten free and tastes great doesn’t hurt. As far as new flavors go…. Let’s just say we have a few things in the cooker. (Not literally. We never use high heat when creating our products, ha!).
5. Share with our readers five things we’d never guess about the brains behind your brand… Go!
1. The brand PlantFusion is a division of a much larger company called Reliance Vitamin. They supply mom and pop health food stores with their line own line of private label supplements.
2. Unlike our parent company that’s been doing business for over 20 years, our branded division has only been operating for less than five years.
3. We’ve increased growth and distribution each year we’ve been in business. A sign the natural products industry is very strong.
4. The entire management team of PlantFusion lives healthy, active, plant based lifestyles. I’ve always lived an active lifestyle. When I started working for PlantFusion I watched a film called Forks Over Knives. It really opened my eyes about what I was eating on a daily basis. I then turned vegetarian and now live a full vegan lifestyle. I’m an avid runner, clyclist and former hockey player (mens leagues doesn’t count, ha). I’ve made it a goal to run at least one major marathon each year.
5. The product was originally created to help patients fighting disease that couldn’t eat food. Our first real market was the mom and pop health food stores. The majority of stores were selling outdated products that didn’t really taste very good. We gave them something different to offer at an affordable price. From there we expanded distribution to the west coast targeting natural grocery chains, wellness centers, etc. When you have such a healthy, delicious product the possibilities are endless.